Sunday, September 18, 2011

An Evening Tea Party

A couple weeks ago, I met a nice young lady at the park outside our library - I will call her Sarah.  We began talking and I quickly found out that she is Iranian and a follower of the Baha'i faith.  I know very little about that religion, so we began talking about our spiritual beliefs.  It was a neat experience for me because I truly felt God giving me the words to speak and I was able to share stories from the Bible and clearly present God's plan of salvation to her.  I learned that the Baha'i faith is focused on "the oneness of God and the oneness of all religions."  It was very interesting to talk with her, because she never disagreed with anything I said and was familiar with stories from the Bible, but doesn't believe that Jesus is the only way for salvation.  We talked for about an hour, and despite our differences in beliefs, she mentioned that she wanted to have me over for tea sometime.  We exchanged contact information and went our separate ways.

A few days later she emailed and invited me over for tea the following Monday evening.  I was looking forward to the chance to speak with her again and curious how it would go.  When I arrived, she welcomed me in and then introduced me to her mom and another one of her friends (I will call her Brooke).  My first thought was, "Oh no, they're ganging up on me!"  But it really wasn't like that...we had a nice evening and I had the opportunity to share my testimony again with Brooke.  I have to trust that God will use my words even when it seems like there's no hope.  Again, they were very willing to discuss spiritual matters and agreed with most everything I shared, but are very set in their ways and their acceptance of all religions.  Please pray for Sarah and Brooke, that God would reveal His Truth to their hearts, and that I would have another opportunity to meet with them before we leave Vancouver.

"Brooke", Me, "Sarah"
In addition to our spiritual discussions, we had a fun "girl's night" and I learned a lot about Iranian and Filipino cultures.  I even got a first-hand demonstration of the art of "threading" from Sarah's mother:

It was only slightly painful, and I must say, my face did feel great afterwards!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment