Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Two Weeks and Counting...

In a little over two weeks, we will officially be homeless. On the one hand, this process has taken longer than we expected when we started two years ago and I thought we would be long gone by now...on the other hand, I can't believe the day has finally come for us to leave our home in McKinney. To say that I have mixed emotions is quite an understatement. As I run around trying to organize and pack, I find myself thinking about how nice it will be to finally get moved out and possibly have a moment to rest, then the next thing I know, I'm sitting on the couch crying at the thought of leaving our house. It is definitely a bittersweet time for me.

Currently I am trying to sort through everything in our house and decide which category it falls into: 1) Don't need it, sell in the garage sale this weekend. 2) May need it in the next 2 weeks, but then can get rid of it (mostly kitchen items: toaster, crock pot, etc). 3) May need/want it throughout our "gypsy" months, figure out the best way to travel with it (baby paraphernalia, books, games, DVDs, random office supplies, etc). 4) Take it to Romania, store it until then (Reference books, a few Christmas decorations, some kitchenware, etc). 5) Can't bear to part with it for sentimental reasons, put in permanent storage (old yearbooks, wedding dress, etc). An overwhelming task? Yes. For the most part, I can honestly say "It's just stuff" and don't think twice about selling things. Then I come to the kids' rooms... I know it would be ridiculous to take a 2-foot tall, decorative antique gas pump overseas. But that's just one of many things that was lovingly chosen for Carter's room before he was born, and the thought of selling it makes my eyes well up with tears as I write this. Not to mention the things he's actually played with that are full of great memories... but I know, it's just stuff...

I've noticed lately that during those times when I begin to get emotional and overcome with sadness, God brings to mind the words of an old hymn: "This world is not my home, I'm just passing through. My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue..." Being reminded that this world isn't my home helps me to let go of the "stuff" that doesn't matter in the end. I know there will be more tears along the way, but I also know that God "is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine" and that I can fully trust in Him. We truly appreciate your prayers for our family during this time of transition!

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you all! I could have written this post myself. Love you guys and we are thinking of you during this transition. If you ever need to talk call me. I have had some similar moments during our last transition. Mason and I sat in the floor and cried after a hard day. We know what your going through! Love you! Emily><>

    ReplyDelete